Protect Your Babies From Common Home Accidents

As babies grow older, they are more active and become curious about their surroundings. As a parent, you should watch your baby carefully and be aware of the dangers around them. This is when they are most likely to get hurt.

Most accidents are preventable.

Babies are very curious and may try to explore things they see around them by putting things in their mouths or by pulling on objects that could harm them. This can be dangerous and cause choking.

They are also more likely to be injured by falls. Make sure you supervise them when they are playing and never leave them unattended when they are running around the house or outdoors.

The kitchen is a common accident hotspot, with hot liquids such as coffee, tea, milk and soup often scalding young children. Always use a cup with a tight-fitting lid or put the hot liquids out of reach, such as on the counter or behind a cupboard door.

Stoves, ovens, barbecues and campfires are all dangerous, especially to small children. Install safety gates around fireplaces and don’t let your child play with a barbecue or campfire.

Don’t allow your children to play with any electrical appliances, including lamps, TVs and DVD players. Keep all cords and plugs safely away from your children and ensure that they are not used by children younger than 6.

Baths are the most common place for children to drown, so stay with them throughout the bathing process. It is not safe to leave your child in the bath if they are under 5 years old, even if you have an older sibling with them.

Suffocation is another common injury. Babies are more vulnerable to suffocation as they are less able to move their arms and legs and cannot pull themselves up when they become stuck.

A suffocation accident can cause serious injuries and death, so always keep your baby close to you, such as by their crib or in the same room with you. Be sure to check their breathing and monitor their heart rate at all times.

If they do not appear to be breathing, call 999 immediately.

They should then be taken to a hospital or nursing home where they can be properly looked after and cared for. If your child is unconscious, they may need to be given oxygen and monitored closely for signs of life.

Decorative night lights can be attractive to young children, but some of these have chemicals inside that could be dangerous for them if they break or burn. Be sure to keep these out of your child’s reach and secure the curtain or blind cords, if necessary, so that they are not pulled over their neck.

Other household items such as nappy sacks should be kept out of the reach of your child as they can choke on these if they are left lying around.

Food is also a major cause of choking and should be cut up into small pieces, such as grapes, cherry tomatoes and blackberries. Raw jelly cubes can also be a choking hazard, so it is best to avoid giving your child these at all costs.